Founded in 1854
In 1854 brothers Noah Merrill Mathews and Spencer Walcott Mathews began a partnership in a window sash and millworks company – called the N.M. & S.W. Mathews Company. In 1860 brother Sanford Hills Mathews joins the family business and the name is changed to Mathews & Co. By 1872, the brothers had expanded the products manufactured by Mathews & Co. to include doors, window sashes, blinds, shutters, window and door frames. On August 24, 1873, the company lost its storehouse on Front Street to the Great Fire of Belfast. The company reopened 70 days later at the corner of Cross and Miller streets as Mathews Brothers Company.
By 1899, after the deaths of Noah, Spencer and Sanford, the company officers are made up of Clara Starrett Mathews, president; Addie Richmond Mathews, vice-president; Maude Elizabeth Mathews, treasurer; and Orlando Ephraim Frost, superintendent.
Of the officers, Maude, pictured above, tended to be the most involved in the company. At this time it was the largest Maine business owned by women.
In 1904 Orlando E. Frost assumes control of Mathews Brothers Company and adds spiral staircases and coffins to the company’s product line. Frost begins Mathews Brothers long standing tradition of community involvement with his commitment to the Waldo County General Hospital.
PRESS RELEASES AND MEDIA CLIPS
Click link to review press release or media clip.